A facelift is the perfect way to recapture ten or fifteen years that have slipped by with one simple procedure. But like most patients who come to Advanced Facial Plastic Surgery Center in Dallas, they are likely wondering how long to expect these results to last. Most of the results depends on the patient and how they care for their skin after the procedure.
Factors That Influence Your Facelift Results
Everyone knows that genetics play a large role in determining the way that people age, and some are luckier than others. But there are also factors within their control that can promote the optimal skin health needed to extend the results of a facelift. By refraining from these behaviors, patients will be more likely to look youthful many years after their facelift:
- Smoking: Many people don’t recognize how detrimental smoking is, not only to their health, but also to their appearance. Smoking causes wrinkles to form and skin to become sallow and lackluster. Quit smoking before a facelift in order to gain a fresh start.
- Weight fluctuation: Losing and gaining, gaining and losing – if a patient’s weight is unstable, it can cause jowls to form and skin to grow slack before its time. Maintaining a stable weight will not only be good for the body, but help the skin to stay supple for longer.
- Sun without protection. The days of tanning for hours on end have ceased. To preserve skin from sun damage, stay out of the sun in the peak hours (10 am to 2 pm). When going outside, it is important to wear high SPF sunscreen and protective clothing to shield yourself from harmful UVA and UVB rays that can cause wrinkles, age spots, and even skin cancer.
By maintaining a healthy lifestyle and carefully caring for their skin, patients’ facelift results can last an average of ten years. Another trick to keeping the results up to par is through skin care, which helps to nourish the skin with essential nutrition that it needs to keep healthy.
Skin Care and Other Beneficial Treatments
Facelifts can be considered to be similar to a time machine. It’s like having a fresh slate again to begin all of the good skincare practices that never got practiced before. When patients come to our Dallas office, advice is offered for follow-up care in the form of products and procedures to enhance their newfound youth. This includes:
- Skin care formulated for their skin type and its needs: As we grow older, our skin can benefit from using different treatments or more refined products to provide dazzling results. We recommend products that will keep our patients’ skin radiant and revitalized long after their facelift.
- Procedures to address aging over time: While a facelift is excellent to restore the middle of the face and neck from sagging, lines and wrinkles, it does not address volume loss or age spots. For those problems, we encourage patients to explore dermal fillers to regain youthful volume and laser treatment to remove age spots and visibly tighten skin.
To preserve youth regained through a facelift, it is important to dedicate time to a healthier lifestyle which will allow patients to enjoy the results for longer while providing a better quality of life in general.
To schedule your facelift consultation, call our Dallas office at (972) 774-1777.